Vancouver Craft Beer Week highlights winners of the
2018 Canadian Brewing Awards and the 2018 World Beer Cup
Some of the best beers in Canada—and the world—will be coming to Vancouver Craft Beer Week Festival this weekend at the PNE Fairgrounds. Among the 300-plus beers being poured by more than 100 breweries at the VCBW main event are winners of the recent 2018 Canadian Brewing Awards and 2018 World Beer Cup.
B.C. breweries took home 51 medals from the Canadian Brewing Awards in Halifax last weekend, including 18 golds and the coveted Brewery of the Year honour for Burnaby’s Dageraad Brewing. That stellar performance follows B.C.’s showing at the World Beer Cup in Nashville earlier this month, where local breweries won nine medals and helped Canada to a second place finish.
This world-class status is not surprising to local craft beer enthusiasts, but it does reinforce that our province is producing beer of the highest caliber.
“We are very proud of B.C. beer,” said Leah Heneghan, VCBW co-founder and festival director. “It is heartwarming to see our breweries getting the recognition they deserve, not only across Canada but throughout the world.”
Many of the award-winning beers will be available this weekend (Saturday, June 2 and Sunday, June 3) at the VCBW Festival at the PNE Fairgrounds, with 32 of the award-winning breweries pouring a selection of gold, silver and bronze medal-winning beers, including:
• Bomber Brewing: Park Life Passion Fruit Ale, GOLD (Fruit Wheat Beer, Canadian Brewing Awards)
• Bridge Brewing Company: SideKick North East ISA, GOLD (Session India Pale Ale, Canadian Brewing Awards)
• Dageraad Brewing: Burnabarian: GOLD (Belgian Style Abbey Ale/Pale Ale, Canadian Brewing Awards)
• Fieldhouse Brewing Co.: Salted Black Porter, GOLD (Baltic Style, Canadian Brewing Awards)
• Luppolo Brewing Company: North West Red Ale, GOLD (North American Style Amber/Red Ale, Canadian Brewing Awards)
• Persephone Brewing Co.: Coast Life Lager, GOLD (North American Style Lager, Canadian Brewing Awards)
• Yaletown Brewing Co.: Roundhouse Wheat, GOLD (German Weissbier, Canadian Brewing Awards)
• Powell Brewery: Old Jalopy Pale Ale, GOLD (Extra Special Bitter, World Beer Cup) and SILVER (English Bitters – Best Bitter or ESB, Canadian Brewing Awards)
• Central City Brewers + Distillers: Red Racer Pils, SILVER (European Style Lager, Canadian Brewing Awards)
• Gibsons Tapworks: HWY 102 Oatmeal Stout, SILVER (Oatmeal Stout, Canadian Brewing Awards)
• Howe Sound Brewing Co.: Super Jupiter Mango India Session Ale, SILVER (Session India Pale Ale, Canadian Brewing Awards)
• Lighthouse Brewing Company: Seaport Vanilla Stout, SILVER (Flavoured Stouts/Porters, Canadian Brewing Awards)
• Backcountry Brewing: Trailbreaker Pale Ale, BRONZE (American Pale Ale, Canadian Brewing Awards)
• Beere Brewing Company: Mental Floss Double Dry Hopped IPA, BRONZE (American Style Imperial India Pale Ale, Canadian Brewing Awards)
• Off The Rail Brewing Co.: Crazy Train IPA, BRONZE (English Style IPA, Canadian Brewing Awards)
The 2018 award-winning B.C. breweries pouring at the VCBW Festival:
2018 Canadian Brewing Awards
BREWERY OF THE YEAR: Dageraad Brewing
GOLD: Bridge Brewing Company | Bomber Brewing | Coal Harbour Brewing Co. | Dageraad Brewing | Dead Frog Brewery | Field House Brewing Co. | Howe Sound Brewing | Luppolo Brewing Company | Moon Under Water Brewery | Parallel 49 Brewing | Persephone | Strathcona Beer Company | Whistler Brewing Co. | Yaletown Brewing Co.
SILVER: Brassneck Brewery | Bridge Brewing Company | Cannery Brewing | Central City Brewers + Distillers | Four Winds Brewing Co. | Gibsons Tapworks | Howe Sound Brewing | Lighthouse Brewing Company | Nelson Brewing Company | Powell Brewery | Off The Rail Brewing Co. | Riot Brewing Co. | Steel & Oak Brewing Co. | Strange Fellows Brewing | Vancouver Island Brewery | Wheelhouse Brewing Co.
BRONZE: Backcountry Brewing | Beere Brewing Company | Central City Brewers + Distillers | Foamers’ Folly Brewing Co. | Four Winds Brewing Co. | Off The Rail Brewing Co. | Strathcona Beer Company | Townsite Brewing
2018 World Beer Cup
GOLD: Raven’s Brewing Co. | Riot Brewing Co. | Powell Brewery
SILVER: Coal Harbour Brewing Co. | Four Winds Brewing Co. | Steamworks Brewing Co. | 33 Acres Brewing Co.
BRONZE: Riot Brewing Co. | Whistler Brewing Co.
To view the entire lineup of 2018 Vancouver Craft Beer Week Festival breweries and what they are pouring on June 2 and 3, visit the breweries page at VancouverCraftBeerWeek.com. This interactive page allows attendees to search by brewery and beer style, and select their favourite breweries so they can create their own personalized beer tasting strategy for the festival.
VCBW 2018 Festival
• Saturday, June 2 from 2p.m. to 7p.m., and Sunday, June 3 from 12p.m. to 5p.m. at the PNE Fairgrounds, Vancouver. Single day, weekend passes and VIP tickets available now at VancouverCraftBeerWeek.com starting at $39.
Vancouver Craft Beer Week is committed to providing a safe space for all to enjoy and ensuring that craft beer is promoted and appreciated responsibly by adults. All volunteers, staff, and attendees should experience VCBW free from harassment, assault or intimidation—any such behavior will not be tolerated. As with all VCBW events, Serving It Right rules apply—attendees must be 19+ years of age and provide two pieces of ID. VCBW guests are reminded to drink responsibly and plan a safe ride home.
About Vancouver Craft Beer Week
Now entering its ninth successful year, Vancouver Craft Beer Week (VCBW) has become the most anticipated craft beer and cider festival in Western Canada. VCBW has evolved from Canada’s first-ever craft beer week into a cultural engine that showcases music, food, art, and craft beer at events across the city starting the last Friday in May every year. VCBW 2018 kicked off on Friday, May 25, with citywide events continuing throughout the week and culminating at the historic PNE fairgrounds on Saturday, June 2 and Sunday, June 3 where over 100 craft breweries and cideries will be pouring more than 300 beers and ciders. For more information and to purchase tickets, please visit VancouverCraftBeerWeek.com.