Premier Christy Clark, Robert F. Kennedy Jr. Join World’s Top Execs to Kick Off GLOBE 2014 Today
GLOBE 2014 opens today, Wednesday, March 26th marking the 13th biennial edition of North America’s largest and longest running international conference on the business of the environment. Upwards of 9,000 participants from more than 50 countries will join an elite roster of business and government leaders over the course of the three-day conference and exposition, taking place March 26h to 28th at the Vancouver Convention Centre East. GLOBE 2014 kicks off at 8:30am Wednesday, with the Opening Plenary: Embracing a Greener Global Economy.
Wednesday Highlights (Full conference program available at www.GLOBESeries.com)
**Please note: All media must be pre-accredited to attend this event
GLOBE 2014 Opening Plenary
8:30am – 9:15am Ballroom
The GLOBE 2014 Opening Plenary will set the stage for all that will follow over the next three days. It will also set each and every one of us on a new path to a better tomorrow, a tomorrow that we can fashion from what we will learn together today.
Moderator: John D. Wiebe, President and CEO, GLOBE Foundation.
- Christy Clark, Premier, Province of British Columbia (Welcoming Remarks)
- Jim Balsillie, Chairman, Sustainable Development Technology Canada (SDTC)
- Lord Ian Livingston, Minister of State, UK Trade & Investment (UKTI)
A One-on-One with Hans Engel: Creating Chemistry for a Sustainable Future
The need to feed, power, house, move, and enhance the quality of life of a world community headed toward 9 billion people will define the marketplace of the future. Hear BASF Corporation CEO Hans Engel’s perspectives on the world’s most pressing sustainability challenges, and how chemistry and innovation are driving the solutions.
- Marc Gunther, Writer, Fortune; Co-chair, Fortune Brainstorm Green; & Editor-at-large, Guardian Sustainable Business US
GLOBE Exposition Opens
10:00am Exhibit Halls
The GLOBE 2014 Exposition will host more than 300 exhibitors in close to 50,000 square feet of space that includes international pavilions, individual companies, market leaders and up-and-comers focused on the key themes of Energy, Green Building & Sustainable Cities, and Water. Along with international pavilions and specialty showcases, visitors to the GLOBE 2014 Exposition will be exposed to product launches, workshops, and for the first time, the GLOBE Powerhaus Pavilions, featuring the Power Pitch Presentation series, designed to create new investment opportunities for organizations from around the world.
Clean Energy Trends: What’s Driving the Industry Forward
10:30am – 11:45pm Ballroom
*One of FIVE Concurrent Sessions
A stellar panel of business and investment innovators will share insights on the current status, trends, and future directions of renewable energy supply and storage, green buildings, energy efficiency, and clean transportation.
*Clean Edge to release key findings of Clean Energy Trends 2014 Report during this session
- Ron Pernick, Managing Director & Co-Founder, Clean Edge Inc., USA (Moderator)
- Amory Lovins, Co-founder & Chief Scientist, Rocky Mountain Institute, USA
- Lyndon Rive, Co-founder & Chief Executive Officer, SolarCity, USA
- Marcene Broadwater, Global Head of Climate Change & Sustainability, Infrastructure & Natural Resources Division, International Finance Corporation (IFC), USA
Clean Capitalism Armchair: Innovation and the Clean Technology Future
*One of FOUR Concurrent Sessions
Clean energy technology holds the promise for a more sustainable, less carbon intensive economic future. But policies and programs to stimulate investment in such technologies and to promote their wider deployment need to be expanded. Two visionaries will share the stage at GLOBE 2014 as part of a special armchair dialogue on innovation and the future of clean technology. This lively discussion will reveal why a well-known environmentalist and a respected businessman share a passion about clean capitalism, namely that embracing clean technology innovation can enhance all profit, innovation and solving environmental problems.
- Robert F. Kennedy Jr., President, Waterkeeper Alliance, & Venture Partner & Senior Advisor, Vantage Point Capital, USA
- Wal van Lierop, Co-Founder, President & CEO, Chrysalix Energy Venture Capital, Canada
SPARK TALKS: Food Systems
4:30pm-5:30pm AV Room 11
- The rise of megacities gives rise to mega-challenges in feeding urban residents. Rising transportation costs, increasing densification, limited access to croplands, and shifting preferences for locally produced food are all changing how cities feed themselves. Hear from thought leaders about how new food-based business models, supply systems, and adaptation strategies are impacting the relationship between urban living and food.
- Mark Brand, Founder & Board Member, A Better Life Foundation, Canada
- Caleb Harper, Founder, MIT CityFARM, USA
Media wishing to attend GLOBE 2014 must pre-accredit. Visit www.GLOBESeries.com and click on the “News & Media” tab to submit an accreditation form.
MEDIA CENTRE: Meeting Room 18, Second Level VCC East
For more information, visit www.GLOBESeries.com.
Find us on Twitter: @GLOBE_Series
GLOBE 2014 is produced by GLOBE Events a member of the Group of companies, a conglomerate of privately-held companies dedicated to the business of the environment. GLOBE’s expertise lies in project management, event development, and management consulting in the fields of environment and energy, urban development, and corporate responsibility. The GLOBE Group is North America’s longest operating producer of environmental events.