Heart-warming holiday collection benefits residents of the Downtown Eastside
East Van Roasters (319 Carrall St., Vancouver) has crafted a collection of artisanal chocolate, coffee, confections and baking, plus locally made gifts designed to nourish the heart and body this holiday season.
East Van Roasters is a fully registered charity and social enterprise operated by the PHS Community Services Society, so shoppers can feel good knowing their purchases are providing meaningful employment to women living in the Downtown Eastside who are facing challenges and barriers in their lives. Additional offerings of support to East Van Roasters and other social enterprises that help fund supportive housing and harm reduction initiatives operated by PHS can be made through canadahelps.org.
The 2018 collection includes seasonal chocolate bars and truffles, small chocolate-coated treats, signature fresh bars, holiday confection and vegan chocolate boxes, bagged caramel and toffee treats, plus East Van Roasters branded totes, t-shirts, hoodies, toques and mugs. New this season, East Van Roasters introduces their very own stone-ground hot chocolate mix to take home.
Organic bean-to-bar chocolate and coffee is roasted and prepared onsite, creating a truly unique experience for shoppers. Visitors to East Van Roasters can relax over a hot chocolate or coffee and watch the coffee roaster and chocolatiers at work while they sort, winnow and roast single origin cacao beans, and refine small batches of chocolate into bars and confections.
East Van Roasters Holiday Trilogy, photo Kevin Fox
Holiday Trilogy ($22 three-pack or $8 each)
Seasonal chocolate bars, available individually or as a package of three.
• Gingerbread toffee: crunchy toffee in 70% Peruvian chocolate with warm gingerbread spices.
• Butter pecan: 70% Madagascar single-origin chocolate with brown butter and candied pecans.
• Minty nib: 70% Peruvian chocolate studded with cacao nibs and infused with peppermint oil.
Holiday Truffles ($2-$2.50 each)
70% chocolate truffles in three seasonal flavours available individually.
• Cranberry spruce: cranberry pâté de fruit layered with spruce tip ganache.
• Cardamom and coffee: cardamom and coffee infused ganache and crunchy wafer.
• Caramel hazelnut: almond and hazelnut layered with caramel.
East Van Roasters Panned Treats, photo Kevin Fox
Small treats thinly coated with 70% Peruvian chocolate.
• Coffee bean, $10: roasted Peruvian coffee beans coated in chocolate and dusted in cacao powder.
• Hazelnut, $9: toasted hazelnuts lightly candied, coated in chocolate and dusted in icing sugar.
• Peruvian Inca corn, $10: giant salted corn kernels lightly candied, coated in chocolate and dusted in ice sugar.
• Holiday medley, $10: toasted pistachio, candied ginger, dried cranberries, coated in chocolate and dusted in icing sugar.
Seasonal Fresh Bars ($17 three-pack)
Three seasonal fresh bars all boxed up.
• Aloha crunch
• Figgy pudding
• Candied nuts and orange
Eight-Piece Holiday Sampler Box ($20)
A sampling of confections that includes: one chocolate caramel; one hand-dipped single origin truffle; one Mayan-spiced truffle; three seasonal truffles; one ginger mendicant; and one sour cherry, pistachio, pink peppercorn mendiant.
16-Piece Holiday Sampler Box ($35)
A larger selection of truffles and confections that includes: two sour cherry, pistachio, pink peppercorn mendicants; two ginger mendicants; two chocolate caramels; two Mayan-spiced truffles; six seasonal truffles; and two hand-dipped single origin truffles.
Vegan Holiday Box ($20)
A special assortment of quality vegan treats that includes: two sour cherry, pistachio, pink peppercorn mendicants; two ginger mendiants; one candied nuts and orange bar; and one horchata bar.
• Chocolate covered toffee, $8.95: crunchy toffee studded with cacao nibs and covered in 70% dark chocolate.
• Honey nib caramels, $9: caramels made with Hives for Humanity Honey and studded with cacao nibs.
Hot Chocolate Mix ($18 for 250 g)
European-style stone ground hot chocolate mix, made with 70% Kallari, Equador chocolate, organic cacao and organic sugar. Just add milk.
East Van Roasters Tote Bag, photo Byron Dauncey
Locally Made East Van Roasters (EVR) Branded Gift Items
• Tote bag, $25: made by the Carrall Street Canvas Co., these sturdy canvas bags are screen printed with the steps for making chocolate, and the EVR logo.
• Mug, $22: hand made ceramic mugs by JustPotters, are branded with the EVR logo.
• Hoodie, $40:100% cotton, hoodies are printed with the steps for making chocolate, and the EVR logo.
• T-shirt, $25: 100% cotton and available in regular or baseball cut, t-shirts are printed with the steps for making chocolate, and the EVR logo.
• Toque, $25: embroidered with the EVR logo and available in black organic cotton or grey cotton blend.
The 2018 holiday collection is available now at East Van Roasters. Requests for the 2018 catalogue and large orders can be made by emailing email@example.com a minimum of two weeks prior to pickup.
East Van Roasters
East Van Roasters is a social enterprise operated by the PHS Community Services Society that roasts specialty coffee and makes bean-to-bar chocolate using single origin, direct and fair trade beans. Situated in the historic Rainier Hotel at 319 Carrall St., East Van Roasters is a fully registered charity that employs women living in the DTES who are facing challenges and barriers in their lives and who benefit from a flexible and supportive work environment.
Address: 319 Carrall St., Vancouver, B.C.
Media release and images provided by Katharine Manson, Katharine Manson Communications. Feature image East Van Roasters 16-Piece Holiday Sampler Box, photo Kevin Fox.