Wednesday Wine Reviews by @Sam_WineTeacher


2015 Syrah-Viognier
Hester Creek
Oliver, BC
Garnet/black with deep intensity.  An inviting nose of dark fruit, cocoa, earth, white pepper and vanilla. Good balance with soft ripe tannins.  The flavours mirror the nose followed by a medium-plus finish.


2018 Rosé
Vanessa Vineyards
Cawston, BC
Take a sip and you’ll think you’ve been transported back to Provence in southern France.  This blend of Syrah and Merlot is pale pink/orange with medium-light intensity.  Tangy cherry, strawberry and pink grapefruit on the nose.  Good balance with medium body.  The flavours follow the nose.  A medium-plus finish.  Paired well with clam linguini.


2014 Capella
Clos du Soleil
Keremeos, BC
A white Bordeaux styled blend of 88% Sauvignon Blanc and 12% Semillon.  Lemon yellow with medium-light intensity.  Mouthwatering citrus, juicy apricot, tropical fruit, beeswax and honey on the nose.  Well balanced with good mouthfeel.  Big on the palate with the flavours reflecting the nose.  A medium-plus finish.  This elegant wine has aged very well and is near its peak.


2014 Ripasso Valpolicella Classico Superiore
Verona, Italy
Garnet red leaning towards brick with medium intensity.  The nose is layered with dried red fruit, tobacco, earth, dusty dried herbs and a hint of tar and leather.  Good balance.  The flavours mirror the nose followed by a medium-long finish.  Excellent with pizza.


2018 Chardonnay
Meyer Family Vineyards
Okanagan Falls, BC
This is a three region blend that helps to add some complexity, as does low cropping levels.  80% of the wine was fermented in stainless steel while the remaining 20% spent four months in neutral French oak which helps to provide texture while not adding any noticeable oak character.  Straw coloured with medium-light intensity.  Lime, Granny Smith apple and butter on the nose along with pear and honeydew undertones.  Good balance with a creamy texture.  The flavours mirror the nose followed by a warm, lingering finish.  A great wine for those tired of big butter-bomb over-oaked California-styled examples.

Leave a Comment

Social media & sharing icons powered by UltimatelySocial