Vinica is thrilled to be offering placements in our first AgriDiversity Wine Industry Training Program, with funding supported by the Province of British Columbia and contributions from the BC Wine Institute and the Wine and Spirit Education Trust.
Vinica’s comprehensive training, mentorship and internship program supports aspiring BIPOC wine professionals to advance their careers.
Are you interested in working at the management leadership level in the wine industry? Do you identify as Black, Indigenous, or a person of colour? Want to advance your career with top-level training? Prepared to invest your time in learning? Then please apply!
February 2021 Program
Vinica’s first AgriDiversity program takes place February 15 – April 9, 2021. This involved 8 week program involves three residency weeks in Kelowna, BC, as well as two weeks of internship placements (various locations depending on interest) and three other weeks of study and mentorship. Participants should expect to be busy at least five full days per week throughout this two month program. Support is available for participants to travel for residency.
The program includes the following components:
- WSET (Wine and Spirit Education Trust) Level 2
- WSET (Wine and Spirit Education Trust) Level 3
- BC Wine Ambassador Levels 1 & 2
- BC Wine Industry-Specific Training
- Employment Assistance Services- Skills Assessment and Planning, Resume Building & Virtual Job Fair
- Mentorship with BIPOC Leader in the Wine Industry
- 2 Week Unpaid Internship in the BC Wine Industry
Participants will be taught by leading industry and educational professionals, gaining knowledge, crafting a network of colleagues and mentors, and making lasting connections in the wine industry.
February 15 – 19 2021 Online WSET and Wine Industry training begins.
Pre-employment services and supports, Skills Assessment and Planning activities begin.
February 22 – 26 2021 First week of in-person training in Kelowna, including orientation, WSET 2 classes, and Wines of BC Ambassador Training Level 1, Wine Industry Training, and WSET 2 exam.
March 1 – 12 2021 Online training and self-directed study continues. Internship placement (varied locations) begins. Pre-employment coaching and counselling begins.
March 15 – 19 2021 Second week of in-person training in Kelowna, including WSET 3 classes, Wines of BC Ambassador Training Level 2 and Professional Growth activities.
March 22 – April 2 2021 Online training and self-study continues. Internship placement (various locations) continues. Pre- employment coaching and counselling continues.
April 5 – 9 2021 Final week of in-person training in Kelowna including WSET 3 classes, and WSET 3 exam. Individual careers coaching and virtual job fair takes place.
We are seeking 22 participants, each who:
- identifies as Black, Indigenous, or a person of colour
- is 19+ years old
- has a keen interest in wine and loves learning
- would like to pursue a management or leadership-level career in the wine industry
- is unemployed, casually employed, employed part-time or only seasonally employed (permanent full-time employees are not eligible)
- can commit to 5 days a week in training, internship placement and study throughout the two month project
- is a resident of British Columbia
- has a SIN and is a Canadian Citizen, Permanent Resident, or Protected Person with authorization to work
To apply, access the form here.
Applicants will be contacted by our program director to get to know you better and to tell you more about the program.
It’s that easy. We can’t wait to meet you!
Vinicia Education Society
Vinicia Education Society is a not-for-profit society incorporated in British Columbia, Canada, focussed on diversifying the wine industry through innovative education and professional mentorship. We focus on supporting adults that are passionate about wine, but are experiencing systemic barriers to participation and advancement in the industry.
Information and image courtesy of Vinica Education Society.