Three Mushroom and Carmelized Onion Steam Buns with Scallion Verde
Serves 4 (2 buns per person)
ingredients – buns:
1 ½ cups warm water
½ Tbsp white sugar
1 Tbsp yeast
3 ½ cups all purpose flour
ingredients – filling:
1 lb shitake mushrooms, sliced
12 oz (3/4 lb) portabello mushrooms, sliced
1 lb oyster mushrooms, diced
1 lb red onions, peeled and thinly sliced
¼ cup black vinegar*
¼ cup palm sugar*
1/2 bunch cilantro, chiffonaded
3 Tbsp soy sauce
3 Tbsp rice wine*
¼ cup canola oil
bamboo steamer basket with lid*
method – buns:
- Soften the yeast in the warm water and sugar.
- Slowly add softened yeast mixture to flour stirring constantly.
- Mix until the dough clings together.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and knead until the dough becomes shiny and smooth.
- Place in an oiled bowl and cover with cling wrap.
- Let sit in a warm, draft-free place until the dough has doubled in size.
- Pinch out small balls of the dough about the size of a ping pong ball
- Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough in to a circle about ¼ inch thick and about 4 inches in diameter.
- Drop a clump of the filling mixture into the middle.
- Pick up all sides of the dough and pinch them together and using a twisting motion seal up the bun, pinching off a small ball of dough.
- Turn the bun over so and roll in a circular motion (the moist dough will grip your work surface and tighten the bun).
- Steam in a well-oiled steamer basket for about 5 minutes.
- Serve with the scallion verde.
method – filling:
- Add a small amount of oil to a medium sized saucepan and cook the onions until they become translucent
- Deglaze with black vinegar.
- Simmer for until the vinegar has reduced by one third, then add the palm sugar.
- Cook down until all the moisture has evaporated and the onions are soft and sticky. Set aside.
- Put a large frying pan on high heat and add canola oil, when the oil is hot add the mushrooms and season with salt and pepper as they cook.
- Sauté mushrooms until golden brown (Tip #1).
- Add soy sauce, rice wine, and cilantro.
- Cook until almost all moisture is gone.
- Combine with the caramelized onions and mix well.
1 bunch scallions/ green onions, roughly chopped
Half bunch cilantro, chopped
Half bunch parsley, chopped
½ cup canola oil
2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp. mirin*
2 Tbsp. shaoxing rice wine*
- Combine scallions, herbs and oil in a food processor and blitz until emulsified.
slowly drizzle in lemon juice, mirin and rice wine.
Tip #1: it may be easier to cook the mushrooms in batches
*available in Asian food stores or the Asian food section of larger supermarkets
Wild Rice Market Bistro, New Westminster: 122-810 Quay
Feature image courtesy of skeeze via pixabay