We’re Seeing Spots: The Okanagan Spot Prawn Festival Returns!

We’re seeing spots before our eyes!  Spot Prawns are back in season and we’re celebrating.

Wild BC Spot Prawns are a delicacy known around the world for their sweet, delicate flavor and firm texture.  They are most recognizable for their reddish brown colour, which turns bright pink when cooked, further defining the white spots on their tail and white horizontal bars on the carapace.
Wild BC Spot Prawns are very popular in Japan and the rest of Asia, with over 90% of BC Commercial catch consumed there.  The remaining 10% are available to be enjoyed fresh in local BC restaurants and kitchens during the limited 6-8 week fishing season. 

spot prawns piled high!

The annual Okanagan Spot Prawn Signature Event is held this year on Sunday, May 25th from 1-3 pm at The Cove Lakeside Resort, 4205 Gellatly Rd, West Kelowna.  Codfathers Seafood Market in Kelowna not only sources spot prawns for various local restaurants and for his retail shop but shares his enthusiasm for this delicacy with this popular event. 
Tickets for the Okanagan Spot Prawn Signature Event are $49 and welcome you to taste dishes prepared by eight restaurants paired with local wines all highlighting the spot prawn.  Guests also vote for their favourite dish with the winning chef taking home an amazing prize from Knifewear. 
Participating Restaurants and wineries include: Poppadoms, Ricardos, Bonfire Grill at the Cove, BluSaffron Bistro, RauDZ Regional Table, Little Straw Vineyards Barrel Top Grill, Local Lounge • Grille, Smoke and Oak Bistro, Codfathers Seafood, Little Straw Vineyards, Sage Hills Vineyard, Squeezed Wines, Wild Goose Vineyards, Volcanic Hills Estate Winery, Mt Boucherie Family Estate Winery, Time Estate Winery, and TH Wines.
BC Spot Prawns are wild and sustainable and are considered a SeaChoice ‘Best Choice’ option and the BC Spot Prawn Fishery is recognized and endorsed as a ‘green’ and recommended fishery by SeaChoice, Monterey Bay Aquarium and Vancouver Aquarium (Ocean Wise).  We can enjoy spot prawns knowing they are a great seafood option.
Funds raised from the Okanagan Spot Prawn Signature Event support Ocean Wise and the Okanagan Chefs Association. Ocean Wise is a Vancouver Aquarium conservation program created to educate and empower consumers about the issues surrounding sustainable seafood. 
Tickets available at Codfathers Seafood Market or on the website at www.okspotprawnfestival.com  You can learn more about Spot Prawns and the Okanagan Spot Prawn Extravaganza at www.okspotprawnfestival.com


Leave a Comment

Social media & sharing icons powered by UltimatelySocial