Didn’t make it to Mexico this year? US EITHER! Even though we can’t experience Mexico in person, we can still experience a taste of Mexico at home this Cinco de Mayo!
While many grew up thinking ground beef and hard shell tacos are real Mexican dishes, there are plenty more options beyond the boxed kits and familiar favourites! As one of the oldest beers produced in Mexico, Dos Equis is all about being authentic and staying true to its cultural roots. So this year, Dos Equis is putting authenticity back onto the menu by partnering with Mexican-Canadian Chef Paula Zavala and encouraging Canadians to get out of their taco-comfort zone.
Looking for a savoury starter beyond your typical salsa and guacamole? Try making a spicy Choriqueso dip.
Scared to stray too far from your regular taco Tuesday fare? Expand your repertoire with Chicken Tinga Tacos.
Thirsting for an authentic alternative to a Mexican beer? Try the Mexican version of a caesar – a Michelada with Dos Equis!
DOS EQUIS MICHELADA
12 Oz. Dos Equis Beer
12 Oz. Clamato Juice
1⁄4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
1⁄2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1⁄2 Tbsp Maggi sauce (optional)
2 tsp hot sauce (optional)
2 Celery sticks
4 Jumbo shrimp, cooked and peeled
For the Rim
1 Tbsp Chili powder or Tajin seasoning
1. Place enough salt and Tajin seasoning in a wide plate to cover the bottom. Rub the rims of two glasses with the lime wedges and dip them into the spicy salt mixture.
2. Fill the glasses with ice. Add sauces, lime juice, Clamato and beer at the end. 3. Garnish with lime wedge, shrimp and celery
CHICKEN TINGA TOSTADA
1 rotisserie chicken, shredded
3 plum tomatoes
1 Tbsp tomato paste
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 large white onion, thinly sliced
1 garlic clove
3 chipotle chillies in adobo (from a can)
Salt to taste
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
Feta Cheese or fresco
1 jalapeno pepper
1. To make the chipotle sauce, place the tomatoes in a blender with three chipotle chillies, garlic, tomato paste and some of the chicken stock. Blend until smooth. Set aside.
2. Heat the vegetable oil in a saucepan and fry to medium heat for 10 minutes or until they are soft. Add the chipotle sauce and shredded chicken. Add the chicken stock left and cook everything for 10 minutes. Serve over tostadas and garnish with feta cheese, sour cream and avocado slices.
DOS EQUIS CHORIQUESO
1 Lb. Manchengo Cheese, shredded
1 Lb. Spanish Dried Chorizo
12 Small Flour tortillas
3 Tbsp Dos Equis beer
1 jar Salsa Macha (optional)
1. Peel and thinly slice the chorizo. Heat up a medium cast iron pan, add the chorizo slices and cook until they release the grease. Remove the chorizo and leave the grease in the pan.
2. Place the shredded cheese in the pan covering all the surface, add the chorizo on top and the beer. Cover the pan, lower the heat and wait until the cheese is melted, do not stir! Or place the pan into a 350F oven for 10 minutes.
3. Warm up the tortillas and immediately serve the tacos with the melted cheese.
4. Optional, add some salsa macha on top.
Media release, recipes and images provided by Bianca Ball, Citizens Relations.