Wildebeest’s Game Lasagne
Featuring a meaty mélange of venison and lamb, Wildebeest’s game lasagna offers a hearty new take on the classic Italian dish.
500g venison stewing meat
500g boneless lamb leg
1 medium onion, diced
1 medium carrot, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. molasses
3 sprigs tarragon
100mL or red wine or port
1L chicken or beef stock
2 Tbsp. canola oil
- In a large sauce pan or Dutch oven, sear the venison and the lamb with canola oil.
- Once evenly browned, remove it from the pot and add the vegetables.
- Caramelize the vegetables well and then deglaze the pot with the wine.
- Add the meat back into the pot with the molasses and the tarragon.
- Add the stock and cover.
- Place in a 350 F oven for about three hours, or until the meat is very tender
- Allow to cool, preferably overnight in the braising liquid.
- Remove the meat and put aside.
- Strain and reduce the braising liquid until a syrupy consistency.
Reserved braised meat
Half of the reduced braising liquid
3 Tbsp. capers, chopped
2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
3 sprigs tarragon, leaves removed and chopped
2 shallots, chopped fine
Salt and pepper to taste
- In a stand mixer, combine all the ingredients on low speed with a paddle attachment.
- Adjust the seasoning and reserve.
6 egg yolks
2 whole eggs
350g 00 Italian pasta flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. olive oil
- Combine all ingredients well and kneed for about 10 minutes.
- Let the dough rest for about 30 minutes.
- Roll your pasta sheets out and cut them into strips approximately eight-inches long by four-inches wide.
- In a pot of simmering salted water, cook the pasta for about four minutes.
- Once the pasta is cooked, lay it down flat on a tray to cool slightly.
- Take your game filling and place about 150g of filling on one side of the pasta and roll it into a log shape.
- Once you have rolled out all of your pasta portions, turn on the broiler.
- Place the pasta rolls on a tray in the oven for about five to six minutes or until the filling is hot and the pasta is crisp and golden brown.
- Heat up the remainder of your sauce
- Place the pasta on one side of the plate
- Pour the sauce in the middle of the plate and garnish with crispy leeks and the micro greens.
Development Chef, Gooseneck Hospitality