WARM KALE SALAD
1 tbsp (30 ml) vegetable oil
1 cup (250 ml) blanched and halved brussels sprouts
1 cup (250 ml) blanched and halved mini new potatoes
Brown Butter Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
1 lb (450 g) Russian kale
½ cup (125 ml) finely grated parmesan cheese, divided
¼ cup (60 ml) toasted sliced or slivered almonds
¼ cup (60 ml) dried cranberries
¼ cup (60 ml) pickled red onion (see Chili Chicken recipe, pg XX)
- Preheat the oven to 450F. Brush a rimmed bake trap with vegetable oil.
- Place the brussels sprouts and mini potatoes cut side down on the rimmed bake tray and cook for 5-7 minutes until golden brown.
- Warm the brown butter vinaigrette in the microwave for 30 seconds or until the vinaigrette feels warm to the touch.
- Trim the stems off the Russian kale and slice into 1.5” ribbons.
- Transfer to a large mixing bowl and add ¼ cup (60 ml) parmesan and the almonds, tossing very well to evenly distribute the ingredients.
- Add in the brussels sprouts, potatoes and the warm vinaigrette. Toss vigorously to bruise the kale slightly and each ingredient is fully coated.
- Plate into individual salad bowls and garnish with dried cranberries, pickled red onions and the remaining ¼ cup (60 ml) parmesan cheese.
Brown Butter Vinaigrette:
4 oz (113 g or ½ cup/125 ml) butter
1 tbsp (15 ml) heavy cream
½ tsp (2.5 ml) black pepper
¼ cup (60 ml) plus 1 tbsp (15 ml) lemon juice
½ cup (125 ml) vegetable oil
- In a small pot, cook the butter until the foam dissipates and the milk solids caramelize to a golden brown.
- Add the heavy cream and cook until the cream has split and the milk solids have also caramelized to a golden brown.
- Immediately whisk in the lemon juice and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and continue whisking while streaming in the vegetable oil.
- If made ahead, transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate. The vinaigrette can be held refrigerated for 7 days maximum.