‘Cashew on the Flip-side’
A Unique twist on the classic rum-and-eggnog, Wildebeest’s ‘Cashew on the Flip-side’ offers a cheeky mix offers a mix of rum, dessert wine, cashew milk, whole egg and house-made winter spice syrup. Shaken with egg to create a frothy consistency and finished with a grating of tonka bean, the creamy concoction is the perfect Christmastime tipple to enjoy during the Yuletide season.
30 ml El Dorado 15-yr rum
15 ml Ron Zacapa 23-yr rum
15 ml Apostoles 30 Jerez Sherry
30 ml Cashew Milk
1 whole egg
15 ml Winter Spice Syrup*
*Winter Spice Syrup
- Slice and scrape the seeds from one vanilla pod into a small sauce pot with two cinnamon sticks and five star anise.
- Add 500 grams of sugar (white is fine but Demerara is better) and 500 ml water.
- Slowly bring to a boil then reduce heat and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cover.
- Let cool for 30 minutes then strain out the spent spices.
- Refrigerate in an airtight container (the syrup will keep for a couple months).
- Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker.
- Dry shake without ice to emulsify the egg.
- Add lots of ice to the cocktail tin and shake vigorously for 20 seconds.
- Fine strain into a chilled cocktail glass and grate some tonka bean with a micro plane to garnish (if you don’t have tonka bean, use cinnamon).
Photo credit: Jonathan Norton